We have appointed a Designated Teacher for Looked after Children, we have A SENCO, who work closely with all staff to ensure everyone understands the implications for those children who are looked after and have SEN.
Looked After Children
Our school recognises there are particular groups of pupils whose circumstances require additional consideration by those who work with them to support their SEN. At Cockfield Primary, we have a Designated Teacher for Looked after Children who works closely with the SENCO to ensure all teachers in school understand the implications for those children who are looked after and have SEN.
To ensure a supportive and sympathetic induction for Looked After Children admitted to our school, the following arrangements are in place:
- Children and their carers will be invited into school to meet with the Head Teacher in the first
- A second visit will be arranged. During this second visit the child and carers will be shown around school, introduced to staff and introduced to their prospective class teacher and
- At least one more visit into school to spend time with their class teacher and peers will be encouraged before they are admitted full time. During this visit the child will be supported by a carer or known adult for as long as necessary to ensure the child feels safe and
- The Head Teacher and/or the designated teacher will meet with all carers and professionals involved with the child before entry to the school
- If the child has already been in an educational establishment then the Head Teacher will liaise with the Head Teacher of the
- An individual plan for transition into the school will be developed by the Head Teacher, designated teacher, professionals and carers to ensure a smooth transition.
- Children will be supported with a support plan/EHCP and a PEP. This will be reviewed at least termly with the parent/carer and the child.